Sunday, July 01, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line Reviews Summary




Spec Ops: The Line is a third-person shooter developed by Yager Development and published by 2K Games.  Released for Windows, Ps3 and Xbox 360 on June 26th 2012.

What it says on the Tin:
A provocative third-person modern military shooter that challenges your morality by planting you right in the middle of horrific situations where choices affecting human life must be made. Single player squad commands include enemy targeting and healing squad members. A multiplayer mode enriches the single player campaign with six game types across 7 maps, community leaderboards and challenges.

The Plot
You play as Captain Martin Walker sent into Dubai with an elite Delta Force team to hunt for a decorated officer named Colonel Konrad. And yes I hear you whisper Apocalypse now but according to lead writer Walt Williams the storyline was inspired by Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness.

So is it more blood and guts than the average sitting room can endure or a medium for a cautionary tale on the horrors of war?  With 15 critic reviews in so far, Metacritic have awarded the game a passable 78% with praise lavished on the narrative, themes, and provocative take on violence in video games. Reviewers agreed on a competent Ai, but a run of the mill multiplayer, and mixed reaction to the game's visuals.

Quote of the Bunch:
"A brutal, cruel, and impactful trip in the frail psyche of a soldier, that unfortunately falls short in the gameplay department due to lack of real innovation"
SpazioGames (Italian)

Reviews Summary:
A brave step forward for developers who want to help us get more from games than just gunplay
Imaginative take on combat is left parched by a gruelling campaign
A story as strong and daring as those of Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus and Dead Space 2.
Game mechanics are noticeably dated and bereft of innovation
Great ideas mired beneath the weight of a generic shooter
Gameplay mechanics that rival much more established franchises.
A more adult attempt to reach player's feelings.
Lacks a strong multiplayer experience, without which it can't be a must buy.
A game with guns that doesn't want you to be the hero, it wants you to feel terrible about trying to be one.

Official Website
Screenshots on IGN

6 comments:

GamingAles said...

"planting you right in the middle of horrific situations", sounds a bit too much like my Monday morning in the office to be honest.

However, the game sounds most intriguing. I couldn't care less about multiplayer so if the story is as good as it sounds, I'm in!!

Unknown said...

With a bit of luck someone will cancel Monday!

Not a fan of multiplayer either and still sour with Mass Effect 3 for making me choose between the Geth and the
Quarians...

Storyline dies sounds solid, just hope it's got very few of those impossible morale dilemmas...

Anonymous said...

I got my first opportunity to see this game in person at a co-worker’s house from Dish a few days ago and noticed that this is one of those rare games that rely on investment in the plot to keep playing rather than the just the gameplay. I liked it so much that I added it to my Blockbuster@Home game queue. Blockbuster is how I rent all my games because buying games new just breaks my wallet. The good thing about Blockbuster is that right now you can even try it out for free. It’ll be in my mailbox soon and I can’t wait to start playing it myself in the comfort of my own home. It's a grim day on The Line for sure, but then war is hell, but you don't need a game to tell you that.

Unknown said...

Hi Bob, thank you so much for comment, a rental is certainly the way to go for spec ops, haven't tried Blockbusters yet but will have a gander after your reccomendation.

Thanks for the headsup! :)

GamingAles said...

I seem to only be buying games featured on this site at the moment lol Spec Ops quickly followed by Deadlight this week :)

(hey Microsoft!, give Mr.Elderly some commission!)

Hey Bob, I see what you're saying about not needing a game to tell you how hellish war is - its a shame the 'powers that be' don't seem to be paying attention!

Unknown said...

Mr Bickle your plea to Microsoft will not go unnoticed!! I thank you most sincerely and if may I be so bold and hand you this ultra high frequency Megaphone with a state of the art sound modulator tuned to emit a sound only audible to mr. Gates hesellf....

..but before we begin... May I, also thank you, for your contribution to my gaming library in the shape of I am alive and Crysis2 ... :)

..now deep breath and let's see if Bill is listening