2003 was the last time Max was let out to play, a release scheduled for 2009 suffered the dreaded "Push Back" syndrome, one "benefit from having more development time" press release and in depth fact finding mission to Brazil later, now Rockstar games are ready to release Max Payne 3 on an unsuspecting public for xbox 360 and Ps3 on May 18th, May 15th if you live in the US.
Remedy Entertainment, developers for Max's previous outings have been replaced by Rockstar's own in house development teams. The series creator Sam Lake steps aside to allow Dan Houser take over the lead writing role.
Alf the Helper: That would be the Dan Houser of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption fame, brother of Rockstar Games President Sam Houser.
Elderly: Thanks Alf!
The game picks up eight years after the events of the last game, this time Max is providing private security for a wealthy family in Sau Paulo, Brazil.
"This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever." Sam Houser President Rockstar Games
Euphoria, Bullet time and Painkillers
Bullet time and Painkillers are still there along with trademarked Shootdodge™ a new game mechanic giving you a brief window to shoot or dodge or... erm both. Most notably the game will utilize the Euphoria physics engine which uses your consoles CPU to generate motion on the fly, by simulating the character’s motor nervous system, body and muscles. Also new to the series are cinematic action movements, interactive cut-scenes which will transition seamlessly into continuing game-play, and then there's ...
Alf the Helper: You shouldn't use painkillers unless your in pain.
Elderly: Thanks Alf!
"Max Payne 3 will also be the first entry in the series to introduce a thorough and engrossing multiplayer experience. In a unique twist, Max Payne 3 multiplayer delivers a compelling experience that dynamically alters maps and mode progression for all players in a match. Along with traditional multiplayer modes, Max Payne 3 will also include a deep reward and leveling system, persistent clans and multiple strategic load-out options."
Max the 10" Statue
Max Payne 3 Special Edition:
Apart from a myriad of pre-order bonuses which will be available through retail store chains throughout the world, the game is set for release in both Standard and Special Edition, it's not clear whether the Special Edition will be available after release.
Those brave enough to pre-order by April 12th will be given the option to purchase the "Special Edition" which includes:
- A copy of Max Payne 3.
- 10" tall Collectible Max Payne Statue created in a collaboration between TriForce and Rockstar Games. See pic above.
- Series of game-inspired Original Still Life Art Prints that depict some of Max Payne's inner demons and vices.
- Copper and brass-plated iron, bullet-shaped Bullet Keychain featuring a screw-off back.
- Classic Multiplayer Character Pack of eight playable multiplayer characters for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer, including fan favorites from the original Max Payne and Max Payne 2 like Max Payne from Max Payne 2, Mona Sax and Vladimir Lem.
- Disorderly Conduct Multiplayer Weapons Pack for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer that includes the Hammerhead Auto Shotgun, G9 Grenade Launcher and Molotov cocktail.
- Max Payne 3 Official Soundtrack featuring the game's instrumental score.
Alf the Helper: It's a good likeness..
Elderly: What is? the statue?
Alf the Helper: Yeah ....it looks just like him..
Elderly: And you were doing so well
Alf the Helper: :(