Thursday, January 25, 2007

Rogue Galaxy Review (Ps2)



Achieving critical success upon release in Japan December 2005, scoring a 36/40 in Famitsu and an 85 average in Dengeki, Japan's two most popular gaming magazines. Developers Level 5, makers of Dark Chronicle and Dragon Quest VIII, present a sci-fi themed RPG.

Jaster is a young man who dreams of exploring the galaxy. In a sudden turn of fate, he is mistaken for a renowned bounty hunter and recruited into a band of space pirates in a race to find a legendary planet that holds the key to the greatest treasures and eternal life. Clues to ‘Eden’ are scattered round the Galaxy - Jaster will go onto to explore many different worlds and face countless battles in search for these clues – but some treasures are best left undiscovered.

So how did the translation fare?

86% from 12 reviews on Metacritic.com, proving there's life in the old dog yet.

Reviews Summary
Rogue Galaxy is what every RPG should strive to be
Engaging and accessible story, an intuitive control scheme
The game isn't a masterpiece, amount of content is staggering, art direction is stunning
"Dragon Quest VIII," "Kingdom Hearts 2," Rogue tops them all.
Wondrous and sublime, a wealth of RPG riches
A developer working at the height of their powers
A yarn is only as good a s the characters knitting it, Level-5 has learned
At sixty hours of play I've got another sixty I could easily pour in
Probably and sadly the last great RPG that the fading PS2 will see

207 screenshots on IGN
Rogue Galaxy Official Website


Clickable inkies

20 comments:

fatherkrishna said...

Elderly, were you aware your review summaries look like abstract acrostic poems...

Holy feck!!!! Is this what the tee total life has done to me???

Oh well Friday tomorrow... That's my drinking day... Hurrah!!!

Unknown said...

indeed FC, Gnome was the first to spot it, i await the day when kismet spells an entire word correctly, that word will be my beacon in the night.... a guide to the next great trek in my life.... be grateful you have found your place in the grand order.

Friday is indeed a good day for drinking..... the other six have merit also....

NSonic79 said...

I saw the trailer on this game on 1up and it amazed me. I swear those look like cell-shaded graphics? I was wondering when someone would get around to do this. And it's a decent RPG to boot. I'll need to add this to my list for PS2. We might not see many of these gems.

gnome said...

A beautiful game it seems, all cel-shaded and smat, but RETDWAAAP?

Random J said...

I hadn't even heard of this game before, but it looks pretty awesome going on graphics alone. I think I'll look into this. Cheers Elderly!

Unknown said...

yep timerunner the trailer looks ace, heartening to see a console with longevity, wish microsoft had put the same concern into the original xbox.

RETDWAAAP is short for

Righteous Elves Thwarting Desolation, War and Anti-Aircraft Personnel.

a fringe group started in the late fifties, still believed to be active...

reasons to be cheerful J, reasons to be cheerful....

Anonymous said...

..Indeed still active.... (hands elderly latest REDWAAAP pamphlet...

support the elves.... I say!!!

gnome said...

wOOt?!?

Anonymous said...

...(jumps...startled at Gnomes Woot....) what the bloody hell was that.... don't do that, me bloody ears are ringing.... (massages ears.....)

gnome said...

Sorry matey... Just meant to say woot?

Anonymous said...

...(jumps again.... hair rises on the Leprechauns head....)

Gnome your freakin me out here.... were sensitive at the best of times...... damn my heart is racing......

gnome said...

okay, okay... Woof?

Anonymous said...

(...leaps in fright, banging his head agasint the ceiling, looks around sees no dog...sees Gnome smiling....)

okay that's it im leaving....

(trembling from the shock, the Leprechaun leaves the room....)

gnome said...

Phew... at last.

See Miss Tera, tara, whatever they call you... We got the whole place to ourselves! Care for some Wii?

Anonymous said...

...Why Wii would be nice, wait i'll flash my breasts first......

gnome said...

Ah great! That's the spirit dear... But, but, you haven't caught a cold, have you?

Anonymous said...

...oh you clever creature, now that you mention it, I am feeling very warm.....


(strips naked....)

wow thats better.... now where were we?

gnome said...

Uhm, uh, well, hmmm, we... err...

(strips naked grabs 5 dildos and a whip)

right here!

Anonymous said...

ahhh we're reacting the scene from Snow White..... wait i'll pretend im unconscious.... oh no that's the prince.. no wait..... oh i wish i rehearsed this.....

..is there a frog in this scene?

Anonymous said...

love this game... this is new for me ( rpgs) at least in vidio formats (D&D was nearly 20 years ago) - but neverind. I'm just surfing for a bit cuz the game has me ready to friggin throw my controler.. I haven't resorted to finding a walkthrough to fix my "huh?" - but these damn towers are driving me batty. ther ain't no dame way to get to the other "section" of the thing. Im on the wrong floor on the it and have been going in circles for about four hours. Someone wanna send me a hint of a "split" in the path on Which floor in Which tower? I'm about ready to use a maze solvers solution and go to the right wall the whole damn thing till I find a way "elsewhere" I want those damn keys!!!
totosolus @ yahoo iffen anyone has pity on an old fart ... and for the two of you laughing at me... hey, I wasn't born with a controller in my hand. Hell I din't even watch TV until I was about 9... folks had the money, just not the interest. My sons both tease me, but hell, my first computer was an Osborn with a 5 inch screen and 64K RAM. yeah - K... not megs or gigs or terra.

price was aobut the same as now for a fairly good one... 1500 bucks. But that was in 82.

9ight all... its 2am an my brain has done faded.
Love and light
Popi Oso